Pages

Friday, August 2, 2013

Healing Salve

With the healthy benefits of coconut oil, moisturizing olive oil, and pure plant essential oils this salve is a definitely one to make and keep on hand.  

A couple years ago I came across a recipe for a homemade pertroleum jelly.  After doing some research and realizing how bad the real stuff was, I decided to give it a try.  Earlier this year I came across the same recipe, but with one addition, coconut oil.  I decided to give it a try as I love coconut oil and I fell in love!  I choose to make mine and add Lavender, Lemon, and Melaleuca oil in mine.  You can choose whatever combination you like.  I choose those specifically because of the properties of the oils.  Lavender is soothing and calming to the skin.  It is also great for bruises, scrapes, burns, and minor cuts.  Melaleuca oil kills bacteria, viruses, and fungus.  Lemon oil is a powerful antiseptic, it increases circulation, and has been known to help strengthen nails.  I chose this oil specifically because I was going to be putting it on my nails nightly.  I wanted to oils to help heal my dry hands, but also strengthen my nails.  I put this on my heels at night and it helps keep my feet nice and soft.  I also put this on my sunburn.  This salve is perfect for dry, cracking heels, dry hands, sunburn, dry skin patches, dry lips, and so many other ways.

Healing Salve
1 cup coconut oil
1 cup olive oil
4 T. beeswax pellets

Slowly melt all ingredients together in a double broiler until melted.  This recipe will fill four 4 oz jam jars.  Now the fun part, decide which essential oils to add.  I used 10 drops lavender, 8 drops lemon, and 6 drops melaleuca.  You can use frankincense, lavender, and cypress for an anti-aging blend or you can use lavender, lemon, and peppermint for an anti-histamine blend or just pick your favorite scent.


No comments:

Post a Comment